Stuttering is a condition that most people are aware of. They know it mostly by the repetition of sounds at the start of sentences. However, stuttering can also present as:
- Repeating whole words or short phrases
- Using filler words like “um” and “like” repetitively
- Prolonging sounds at the start and within words
- Trying to make a sound but having no air coming out, like the air flow has been blocked
- Making facial grimaces or expressions of frustration when unable to say the word/sentence.
This condition affects approximately 5% of children (Jones et al., 2005). The cause is unknown, but there are some indicators we do know. It usually presents in preschool years and can be more apparent when a child is tired, sick, excited or anxious. Of those children that do develop a stutter, some will recover naturally, however it is difficult to tell whether a child will or not.
Stuttering is very treatable at a preschool and early school age with evidence-based programs available. As a child gets older it can become more difficult to treat, and stuttering can become chronic which can impact them socially and emotionally (Jones et al., 2005).
If you are concerned your child may be stuttering it can be useful to talk with a speech pathologist about it. A speech pathologist will be able to diagnose stuttering and work with you to implement a plan for treatment.
Reference: Jones, M., Onslow, M., Packman, A., Williams, S., Ormond, T., Schwarz, I., & Gebski, V. (2005). Randomised control trial of the Lidcombe programme of early stuttering intervention, BMJ, 331:659.
Work with a Developmental Therapist in the Gold Coast at Grow On Children’s Occupational Therapy
Working with a developmental therapist in Gold Coast is beneficial.
If you have concerns regarding your child’s development, you may wish to consider having them work with one of the therapists at Grow On Children’s Occupational Therapy. Our therapists work personally with each child to understand the type of developmental therapy they require.
Tips for Getting More Value Out of Our Developmental Therapist Sessions in the Gold Coast
Here are some great tips to get more value out of your child’s session with one of our therapists:
- Ask your child what they are learning or how they feel after a session
- Work with your child at home to encourage skill development
- Speak with your therapist about any questions or concerns you have about treatment
What Sets Grow On Children’s Occupational Therapy Apart Regarding a Developmental Therapist in the Gold Coast
We set ourselves apart in providing a developmental therapist in Gold Coast in the following ways:
- A full assessment, so your child receives accurate therapy sessions
- Friendly staff who always makes time to address your concerns
- Consistent reviews to ensure your child continues to excel
What You Stand to Lose if You Don’t Use Grown On Children’s Speech Therapy Services
As an authority on the developmental difficulties of children, our team understands the stress often associated with these types of issues. Our goal is to help your child grow and develop in a caring and nurturing environment.
For more information about our developmental therapist options in Gold Coast, please call us on 07 5578 2000 or go to our contact page to send us an enquiry.